You see the oddest things here, so many of them that you start to see them as ‘normal’. On the way I saw a naked man walking down the side of the road on his mobile, followed by a gaggle of men. No idea what that was all about.
I got stopped and asked if I would take a picture of a family. I agreed, ‘of course, not a problem’ and reached to take their camera to take the picture. ‘No, no, no.’ Lots of hand waving. Very confused. I’d got it all wrong. They wanted ME in the photo with the family. Babies thrust into my arms, photos, photos more photos. Once one family had had a picture with the blonde lady, they ALL want a photo with the blonde lady. We were being stopped every 5 minutes.
To preserve the Taj Mahal, they have shut down all factories in the area and no cars are allowed within 500m of the Taj, only electric cars. As a result, a lot of Agra’s industry has shut down. To compensate the local government have waived all taxes on handicrafts. You know what this means.....a trip to a handicraft shop. No tax! Cheap! Buy! We didn’t.
On the way back we stopped at another of Shah Jahan’s impressive buildings. Another beautiful building. As we walked back, we got stopped again by small children shoving their right hand towards me to shake my hand. “Hello, what’s your name?”
My favourite was this little boy on the far right who after having had the photo taken and having shook my hand, beamed at me and said “Welcome to India!”
My favourite was this little boy on the far right who after having had the photo taken and having shook my hand, beamed at me and said “Welcome to India!”
No comments:
Post a Comment